The standard models of communication are not always effective in today's multi-generational, diverse, and mobile workforce. To adapt to today's dynamic work environment, managers must develop a coaching skill set and new mental models about how best to develop employees. This course draws on the theories and communication techniques taught in the rigorous Certificate in Leadership Coaching program and applies them to the context of a modern manager.
This course will increase the manager's understanding and skill in using critical coaching skills in developing employees. Participants will learn how to use these skills to increase the effectiveness of conversations with employees at all levels of performance, competence, and commitment. This understanding will strengthen the manager's ability to positively impact employee competency, engagement, and retention, all of which are critical to an organization's ability to sustain success. The skills developed in this program are transferable to all relationships at work; participants will increase their conversational effectiveness overall.
The course comprises one two-day session. Course time will involve a combination of lecture, learning activities, and practice sessions. Pragmatics, discovery, and engaged learning are emphasized in this program.
At the conclusion of the "Leading Performance: Engaging and Developing Employees" course, participants will be able to:
- Co-create development plans for employees who strive for excellence
- Understand and demonstrate the theory and skills of an effective coach
- Intentionally listen at deep levels
- Develop excellent questions based on deep listening and curiosity
- Give and receive feedback
- Demonstrate skill and flexibility in guiding employee conversations to assist them in accepting their role in their own development and satisfaction.
- Increase skill and knowledge in engaging in coaching conversations to employees who represent the broad range of performance and engagement levels.
- Determine resources to continue developing their coaching skills
Graduates from the School of Continuing Studies at Georgetown University are eligible for a 10% alumni discount on select ITL courses, workshops, and seminars (certificate programs excluded). Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about your eligibility.
Participants who register at least 21 days prior to the course start date will receive a 10% tuition discount. Please note that only one tuition discount can be applied at time of registration.
This course is an open enrollment course. No application is required and registration is available by clicking "Add to Cart." Current students must register with their Georgetown NetID and password. New students will be prompted to create an account prior to registration.
Please review the refund policies in our Student Handbook before completing your registration.