This course will explore the relationship between audience, purpose and text in a cross section of social media, including Tweets, blog posts, Facebook updates, and Instagram photos. We will develop criteria for evaluating each form of writing, find examples, assess what makes them effective, consider the decoding skills they demand from readers, and practice the form using tried and true social media writing tactics
As participants practice the craft of writing for social media, they will receive detailed, constructive feedback on all assignments.
Upon completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Compose social media updates that support communications and marketing objectives
- Employ social media-specific writing tactics to create concise, persuasive content
- Compare and contrast social media updates in order to determine which writing tactics resonate with users
- Optimize social content using techniques such as search engine optimization, headlines and visuals
NotesThis course is an open enrollment course. No application is required and registration is available by clicking "Add to Cart." Current students must register with their Georgetown NetID and password. New students will be prompted to create an account prior to registration.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Social Media Management : Required