Course DescriptionThe Professional Speechwriting workshop seeks to prepares participants to write speeches for commanding officers and public figures. The course will introduce the basics of speechwriting and storytelling, with particular emphasis on persuasive writing techniques. Participants will be exposed to strategies for targeting audiences of various sizes, demographics, and settings. Considerable focus will be given to organization and use of language.
Course ObjectivesUpon completion of the Professional Speechwriting workshop, participants will be able to:
- Write speeches that inspire action;
- Write speeches that effectively convey ideas and emotions in a memorable way;
- More efficiently use the writer’s time and resources to produce speeches;
- Use a variety of speechwriting styles;
- Use a variety of techniques to enhance persuasion;
- Use a variety of techniques to motivate action;
- Review and revise speeches to improve their effectiveness and readability; and
- Write speeches that inspire or motivate action and agreement, and promote pride, loyalty, and a sense of belonging to a group.
This course is an open enrollment course. No application is required and registration is available by clicking "Add to Cart." Current students must register with their Georgetown NetID and password. New students will be prompted to create an account prior to registration.
Please review the refund policies in our Student Handbook before completing your registration.