Stories that effectively drive action on behalf of social impact issues--whether that action be to increase donations, activate partnerships, advocate for legislation, or motivate volunteers--must be designed with purpose and emotion. They cannot be haphazard. Students will gain practical hands-on knowledge as to how to strategically define the purpose of stories they wish to create that align with the overall objectives of their social impact organization or setting. They will also learn and evaluate the five essential building blocks of effective social impact stories--character, trajectory, authenticity, action-oriented emotions, and a hook--by analyzing practical examples from nonprofits, responsible businesses, and social movements.
- Define the purpose of the story
- Develop a plan of action to guide story creation
- Apply the five essential building blocks for effective social impact stories
- Analyze social impact stories through the lens of the five building blocks
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Social Impact Storytelling : Required