XCPD-471 - Making Meaning of Systems: Organizational Theory
This course offers an introduction to the field of organization development by exploring the conceptual models, theories, and frameworks that shape what we are able to see, understand, and therefore influence, in organizations. The session gives students a fundamental and experiential understanding of the underlying dynamics driving organizational behavior at the individual, interpersonal, team and organizational levels of a system. Students begin to build their ability to analyze the ways their identities and experiences impact them as agents of change. This session also introduces culture-building tools and activities to begin forming a strong, high-trust cohort among students and faculty.
Upon completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Explain the historical and theoretical foundations of Organization Development (OD).
- Differentiate the unique contribution of OD from other types of organizational change methodologies.
- Articulate the business impact of OD
- Discover the ways perception, mental models, communication, and behavior are shaped by identity and experience
- Build the capacity to distinguish and critique various mental models used to make sense of organizational systems.
- Discuss several key organizational theories and the benefits of each for understanding systems and organizational culture.
- Describe the methods used to co-create the foundation for a learning community that is welcoming, inspiring, and joyful -- one that encourages respect, curiosity, vulnerability, and compassion.
Enrollment in this course is restricted. Students must submit an application and be accepted into the Certificate in Organizational Development Consulting and Change Leadership in order to register for this course.
Current Georgetown students must create an application using their Georgetown NetID and password. New students will be prompted to create an account.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Organization Development Consulting & Change Leadership : OD Consulting & Change Leadership