XCPD-474 - Transforming Systems: Change Theory and Practices
This session explores the drivers, stages, requirements, and strategies of change in all levels of systems from both the technical and human dimensions. Students will analyze the most powerful and relevant theories of change and transformation and learn practical approaches for leading, or consulting to, change initiatives in complex organizational systems. In addition, the course covers topics and tools central to effective change leadership such as anticipating and engaging resistance to change efforts, supporting and challenging leadership sponsors, and ensuring implementation and sustainability of change initiatives. This class will introduce students to models that guide culture change processes and DEI initiatives.
Upon completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Assess the fundamental drivers of organizational change and how they impact what a system needs and can tolerate.
- Compare and contrast the benefits and limitations of several theories of individual, group, and organizational change.
- Understand the roles, connection, and interdependence of “change leader” & “consultant” (both internal and external).
- Build client engagement for transformative change and commitment to action
- Recognize the indicators that systems experience at different stages of a change process and the change leadership required to move the system forward.
- Identify culture change required to support strategic efforts
- Distinguish various forms of resistance and different ways to engage with each.
- Demonstrate the ability to support and challenge leaders to exhibit the courageous leadership needed during times of change.
Enrollment in this course is restricted. Students must submit an application and be accepted into the Certificate in Organizational Development Consulting and Change Leadership in order to register for this course.
Current Georgetown students must create an application using their Georgetown NetID and password. New students will be prompted to create an account.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Organization Development Consulting & Change Leadership : OD Consulting & Change Leadership