Most coaches are passionate about coaching and quickly realize that starting a coaching business can feel truly daunting. This 2-day, in-classroom course is designed to demystify the process of starting a business and to help the coach entrepreneur build the plan and the confidence they need to create a thriving practice.
Two established “coach entrepreneurs” lead this course, the Managing Partners of Element North, Kristi Hedges and Mike McGinley. They bring a high-energy, pragmatic and playful approach to instruction, providing a host of practical tools, resources and their own colorful perspectives on the ins and outs of starting and growing a business.
Note: It is strongly recommended to complete a coach training program prior to enrolling in this course.
- Welcome Email with introduction and pre-work
- Two full-day classes
- One 90-minute follow-up webinar to reinforce key learning*
- Materials will be provided to registrants
- Each participant will have a “venture pal” – a classmate who is paired up to support learning and momentum throughout the course.
*NOTE: Webinars will be recorded, but live attendance is highly recommended.
The class meets from 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM ET both days and the recorded webinars will be scheduled separately. Major segments covered include:
- Making a Living as a Coach
- Your Vision and Your Plan: Moving to Action
- Your Offer: Creating and Articulating a Distinctive, Compelling Value Proposition
- Building a Practice: Planning, Pricing and Profit
- Best Ways to Develop Business and Win New Clients
- Establishing Your Brand
- Working On Your Business While Working In Your Business
- Sustaining a Thriving Practice
“I was nervous about signing up for the course given the timing in my life. Turns out the timing couldn't have been better. The Coach Entrepreneur course grounded the visions I've been cooking up since Georgetown and gave me the confidence and courage to make a career change.”
“The insights and flow of each course was awesome, but it came to life because of the personal stories you shared. Thanks for putting so much of your own selves into this experience. It was awesome.”
“I have loved the structure that you have provided for the class....it is exactly what I need for this stage in building my business! The exercises are relevant and practical, and pairing us with venture partners was a great method to build in accountability.”
Upon completion of the course, participants will have learned:
- Vision for the business
- The Coach Entrepreneur success mindset
- Several different business models that work for coaches
- What to do first, second, third... and what not to do
- How to clarify, differentiate and strengthen your offer
- Pricing options
- How to build a strong pipeline to meet profit goals
- Use of assessment instruments and other coaching tools
- How to talk about coaching and your business so that you get hired
- Strategies for differentiating yourself in the coaching market
- Brand building using both traditional methods and social media platforms
- Partnerships, collaborations and subcontracting relationships
- Simple and effective business planning methodologies
- Sustaining your business
Graduates from the School of Continuing Studies at Georgetown University are eligible for a 10% alumni discount on select ITL courses, workshops, and seminars (certificate programs excluded). Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about your eligibility.
Participants who register at least 21 days prior to the course start date will receive a 10% tuition discount. Please note that only one tuition discount can be applied at time of registration.
This course is an open enrollment course. No application is required and registration is available by clicking "Add to Cart." Current students must register with their Georgetown NetID and password. New students will be prompted to create an account prior to registration.
Please review the refund policies in our Student Handbook before completing your registration.