This course focuses on the international aspects of financial management. Particular emphasis is placed on the control of exchange rate risk and financing multinational corporations. Students will gain a working knowledge of the practical applications that integrate the theory, methods, and practice of international finance. Students will study capital flows, international financial environment, institutions and instruments, and foreign exchange operations. Students will also review the major aspects of investment decision making performed by multinational corporations; debt management; and the basics of exchange rate risk management.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Discuss the environment of international financial management and how the foreign exchange markets operate.
- Describe the importance of foreign exchange risk management.
- Discuss the basics of hedging using derivative securities (futures, options, and swaps).
- Distinguish between accounting and economic exposures.
- Analyze how foreign operations are being financed and understand basic foreign investment analysis, including portfolio management and foreign direct investments.
- Discuss the working capital management process for multinational corporations.
NotesThis course is an open enrollment course. No application is required and registration is available by clicking "Add to Cart." Current students must register with their Georgetown NetID and password. New students will be prompted to create an account prior to registration.
This is an intermediate course in finance. Students are expected to have a basic understanding of core financial concepts. Students who have not completed academic coursework in finance or do not have the requisite professional experience must complete Principles of Finance (XCPD-684) before enrolling in the course. Students without basic knowledge of financial concepts must receive permission from the instructor to enroll in the course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Budget & Finance : Elective
- Certificate in Business Administration : Elective
- Certificate in Corporate Finance : Required
- Certificate in International Business Management : Electives
- Certificate in Managerial Finance : Required Course
- Certificate in Multidisciplinary Business Studies : MBS Electives