Managers and executives in any profession will find this 6-week highly interactive hands-on course to be highly valuable in developing a financial literacy that is essential in making informed strategic decisions.
You will learn how to examine financial statements, review cash flows, perform ratio analysis, apply the process of planning and controlling a budget, make strategic allocation decisions, and determine the value and financial health of an organization.
By the end of the course, participants will not only be better prepared to manage and understand financial performance, but also be more creative and innovative critical and strategic thinkers. You will be prepared to immediately apply the practical knowledge gained during the course.
Saturdays - 9:00 am - 12:00 pm ET are Live Zoom sessions with the instructor and class.
Sundays through Fridays are off-line self-directed study days.
Module 1 Introduction to Financial Statements
- Identify the primary financial statements and the other items included in a set of financial statements
- Understand the accounting equation and apply its principles to the financial statements
- Understand the relationship between the primary financial statements
- Explain the content and structure of the Income Statement, Balance Sheet/Statement of Financial Position, Cash Flow Statement and Statement of Changes in Equity
Module 2 Preparing Financial Statements
- Explain the need for and limitations of financial statement analysis.
- Prepare financial statements in comparative form and explain how such statements are used.
- Place the balance sheet and the income statement in common-size form and properly interpret the results.
- Identify the ratios used to measure the well-being of the common shareholder, and state each ratio's formula and interpretation.
Module 3 Analyzing Financial Statements
- Describe and apply the basic techniques of financial statement analysis;
- Explain the relationship between strategic business analysis, accounting analysis and financial analysis;
- Identify and utilize value-relevant information contained within financial statements
- Recognize and explain the fundamental role of accounting numbers in the valuation of entities and the key financial claims on these entities’ assets (equity and debt securities);
- Conduct an applied business research (including locating, critically interpreting and evaluating firm-specific financial information) by analyzing a firm’s performance based on its financial statement data.
Module 4: Cost Management and Controls
- Understand how to apply the COSO framework
- Learn to use cost control analysis for investing decisions
Module 5 : The Art of Finance Pro-Forma Analysis
- Develop a finance based Pro Forma analysis
- Learn how to apply common finance metrics to evaluate a deal
Module 6: Financial Statement Quality of Earnings
- Understand the elements of Quality of Earnings
- Apply financial statement and non-GAAP ratios
Use financial data to make better business decisions
Identify how financial strategies are integrated into your organization’s goals
Analyze financial performance of your department, brand, product, or business
Explain the content and connections between the three major financial statements
Choose between different financial approaches to better understand and manage your resources
Demonstrate your financial acumen when working with financial professionals in your organization